Monday, September 1, 2008

Bowling Green Farmer's Market

This past Thursday I attempted to go to the Bowling Green Greenmarket. I say attempted because while getting there was very easy (just go down to the Bowling Green subway stop and walk up and look around), there wasn't much of a market there.

There were all of three stands, and one of them was selling jewelery. The problem with this is that I was hoping to buy things to cook, and there weren't sufficient things to cook. There just wasn't nearly enough selection at the place for me to justify any purchases because it wasn't wide enough to really make any kind of meal come together. I thought of a few possible explanations for this:

  • The farmers' market is a terrible one and there is never any selection
  • I went there too late in the day for there to be stalls
  • The closeness to Labor Day Weekend resulted in several farmers taking the week off
The latter two reasons mean I'll check it out again before condemning it completely.

However, there is the fact that it's near Battery Park led me to have a little fun anyway. The City Gardens at Battery Park are also host to a Beer Garden, which features Victory Brewing Company beers for about $4-5.00 for what seemed to be a 20oz plastic cup. All in all a decent deal and a nice location from which you can see the ferry coming in and out and look at the statue of liberty, etc. The beers are a little carbonated for my taste, but the Hefeweizen was done in almost the proper Bavarian style and it made up for the disappointing greenmarket.

No comments: